Which Cannabis Strain Is Better Indica or Sativa?
Indica or Sativa -Which Cannabis Strain Is Better?
There are various cannabis strains available that are suitable for different purposes. Indica strains have meant to sedate the body so you feel relaxed, perfect for nighttime. The Sativa strain energizes the body and mind, suitable to use during the daytime.
The Sativa and Indica strains differentiate the cannabis plant based on the leaves' size and shape, color, and growth. Further, it is divided into categories such as Chemical profiles, THC profiles, stimulation, etc.
You can also choose hybrid strains that give relaxation to the mind and also energize the body. The quality of strains is affected by the weather condition, curing process, types of storage etc. If a strain is stored in an appropriate situation, you can use them for about a year.
The Sativa strains are produced in the warmer regions, such as South and Central America and Southeast Asia. Sativa strains provide more energy and stimulate your brain to do something creative and focus on the work. The Sativa plants take more time to grow and produce fewer flowers than the Indica plants.
- Effects of Sativa Strains
The plants of Sativa strains are skinny, light green, and slim, and tall with high THC content. It helps people suffering from chronic headaches, low appetite, depression, and nausea. The dominant strain of Sativa uplifts your mind and boosts productivity and creativity. It makes you feel euphoric and energetic, so it is best to use it in the daytime.
- Different types of Sativa strains are-
There are different types of Sativa strains that produce distinct effects different from each other. The different types of Sativa dominant strains are-
- Green Crack
- Sour Diesel
- Super Lemon Haze
- Strawberry Cough
- Amnesia Haze
- Durban Poison
- Super Silver Haze
- Jack Herer
- Indica strains
The plants of Indica strains originated in the Middle-East regions like Pakistan, Tibet, and Afghanistan. It has a higher CBD content as compared to Sativa plants. The Indica plants are shorter and bushier. Also, the leaves are dark green and more lacking in size. Also, the plants grow faster than Sativa and produce more flowers or buds.
- Effects of Indica Strains
Indica strains have high CBD content, but the THC content is also not less. The Indica-dominant strains make you feel sedated and relaxed. It makes you feel euphoric, increases the appetite, and aids insomnia. So, it is perfect for consuming during nighttime as it makes your body feel heavy and comfortable.
- Different Types of Indica Strains
Indica strains tend to make you feel relaxed and sleepy. The rush of euphoria makes you calm and keeps your mind in a happy mood. Here are some of the popular Indica strains.
- White Rhino
- Grandaddy Purple
- Hind Kush
- Blue Cheese
- Afghan Kush
- Grape Ape
- Purple Punch
- Hybrid Strains
A hybrid strain is a mixture of Sativa and Indica plants. The appearance of the hybrid strains depends upon the combination of these plants. Different hybrid plants are grown to THC content. However, every strain type has its flavors and effects.
The breeders can alter any two cannabis strains to create another new strain. Hybrid plants grow quickly and yield high. The hybrid strains balance the effects of relaxation and energizing effects.
- Effects of Hybrid strains
Consuming hybrid strains makes you feel euphoric, happy, relaxed, and energetic. It depends upon the dominant or parent strains. Many people also say that hybrid strains help relieve you from pain and inflammation without putting you into a deep sleep.
Hybrid strains with an Indica dominant helps to give relief from pain, nausea. If anyone wants maximum relief from pain, then they choose Indica dominant hybrid strains.
- Different Types of Hybrid Strains
There are various kinds of hybrid strains available in the market. Some of them are very popular for their unexpected effects and combinations of aroma and flavor. Here are some of them-
- Wedding Cake
- OG Kush
- Girl Scout Cookies
- Pineapple Express
- Blue Dream
- White Widow
- Factors affecting the strains
Every plant has its flavor, aroma, effects, etc., even in the same category of cannabis. Always research what impact a particular strain will have on your brain before consumption. The effects of strains depend upon cannabinoids, chemical properties, and terpenes.
Cannabis plants are composed of various chemical compounds that create different effects. This happens due to cannabinoids. There are over 480 types of other compounds present in the cannabis plant. However, only 66 out of them are termed cannabinoids.
There are two dominant Cannabinoids responsible for different types of relieving and other effects. They are –
- THC ( tetrahydrocannabinol)- this cannabinoid is responsible for making you feel high, relaxed, gives relief from nausea and pain. It also makes you feel hungry.
- CBD- (Cannabidiol)- this chemical compound found in the cannabis plant, is a non-intoxicant. It relieves you from pain, anxiety, inflammation, etc.
The CBD dominant strains mostly don't give the sensation of euphoria. It means that you will not feel 'high' after consumption. Though, it has physical benefits like reducing chronic headaches such as migraines, nausea, etc. It contains a minimal amount of THC. People who are sensitive to THC prefer CBD.
THC dominant strains are primarily used by consumers who want to have a euphoric experience. It is used to relieve depression, anxiety, insomnia, body pain, and many more. Consumption of cannabis with high THC content will make you feel 'high' or euphoric.
Terpenes are also an aromatic chemical compound found in fruits and plants. Terpenes are responsible for affecting a plant's aroma and taste. So, it also largely influence the effects a cannabis strain produces. They are found in pepper, lavender flowers, hops, oranges, and also in cannabis.
Different types of terpenes and their combination affects the aroma, flavor, and taste in various strains of cannabis.
- Types of Terpenes
Various types of terpenes are found in cannabis strains. The combination of terpenes along with the THC and CBD content determines the effects of the cannabis strain. These are some popular types of Terpenes found in cannabis are-
- Linalool- Linalool is highly sedative and helps to relax the body and elevates the mood with a floral fragrance. It is responsible for infusing spicy flavors. Linalool is found in cinnamon, mint, cinnamon, etc. The prevalent strains with high Linalool terpene are- OG shark, Amnesia Haze, LA Confidential, etc.
- Limonene- It is available in almost all strains. Limonene gives a citrus smell to the cannabis strain. It is also used in cosmetics and other products. Strains with 'sour' or 'lemon' in their name have limonene, such as Sour Diesel, Lemon haze, etc.
- Myrcene- It is one of the common terpenes found in strains. Reports say that Myrcene consists of up to 65% of terpene profile in various strains. It has an earthy and musky smell, similar to cloves. Myrcene helps to reduce anxiety and aids insomnia. The strains which have high Myrcene content are- White Widow, Skunk XL, etc.
- Pinene- The pinene terpene has an intense fragrance of pine. It is said that it may help to boost your memory, gives relief from nausea and pain. Strawberry Cough, Dutch Treat, Jack Herer, etc., have high pinene content in them.
- Eucalyptol- Eucalyptol is the primary terpene compound found in eucalyptus trees. It relieves pain and has a cool and minty aroma. Some of the strains with Eucalyptol terpenes are- Silver Haze, Headband, etc.
- Humulene- This compound is also found in black pepper, sage, and cloves. It helps to control appetite, reduce pain and inflammation. Humulene has an earthy, spicy, and woody aroma. It is mainly found in Girls Scout Cookies, Headband, White Widow, Sour Diesel Etc.
Categorizing Indica and Sativa strains according to the effects is not always correct. Keep in mind that not all Sativa strains will pump you up with energy or uplift your mood. Neither all Sativa strains are sleepy, nor will they make your body sedated and heavy.
Keep your preference in mind, i.e. know what kind of strains you like, or want to avoid. Every strain has positive and negative effects. You can take professional medical help if you have any doubt regarding your health. A doctor will help in the guide if you want to try cannabis with proper medication.
- What is the difference between Sativa and Indica?
Sativa strains are slim, tall, and light green, whereas Indica strains have broad leave and bushy plants. Otherwise, there is no difference in the effects of Sativa and Indica.
- Which strains make you giggle?
A Sativa-hybrid strain called laughing Buddha, and an Indica hybrid called Church OG can make you giggle and do stupid things.
- How long the effects of CBD do last?
The effect of every strain depends upon the body type of an individual. However, it may last up to 2-6 hours generally.
- Does any cannabis strain make you feel paranoid?
If you are already battling with anxiety, then Indica strain will make your condition worse.
- Which strain is used for treating insomnia?
Generally, Indica strains help to relax your body and mind. It also makes you feel sleepy.