How To Keep Cannabis Fresh and Flavorful
How to Keep the Freshness and Flavours of Cannabis Intact
The products made from Cannabis are obtained from leaves, seeds, dried flower buds, and different chunks of a cannabis plant. Intake of a significant amount of Cannabis can be delightful and soothing. It is used for medicinal purposes, like getting rid of chronic pain and other diseases. However, consuming marijuana for a long period has adverse effects and leads to addiction.
Many countries have stated that consumption of Cannabis in any form is illegal. However, some developed countries have legalized the usage and consumption of Cannabis. There are various ways to keep the flavors and textures of Cannabis intact for a long period.
There are various ways for consuming marijuana, Such as Smoking, mixing it into brownies, infusing it into tea, consuming it in the form of capsules, or even eating it raw.
It requires some knowledge on how to store and use them effectively when the stored Cannabis begins to degrade.
However, the effectiveness and stability of taste may differ due to weather conditions, geographical reasons, etc. It is very important to consume good quality cannabis, or it may harm the body. Here are some steps to follow to store Cannabis for a long period.
Storage of cannabis Flowers
Always keep in mind that cannabis flowers are fresh while buying. Also, they are cured properly. The process in which Cannabis flower is dried properly to boost its effectiveness is called curing. It makes Cannabis more smooth and effective for smoking. So, after buying the Cannabis Flower, keep the weed in an air-tight container to preserve their moisture and taste.
- Here are some factors To Keep in Mind While Storing Cannabis-
It is an important factor to consider for storing Cannabis at home. Always store them in a dry, dark, and cool place. High temperature dries out the terpenes and Cannabis. The essential oils also dry out due to high temperatures. The appropriate temperature for storing Cannabis is around 25.5 degrees Centigrade 77 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature rise will lead the Cannabis to grow mildew and molds.
The relative humidity is crucial for storing weed. Taking proper care of the humidity factor increases the taste, color, flavor, and other things. It is ideal for keeping the RH level around 59%to 63%; otherwise, it will lose its texture, become brittle, and the essential oils will dry out.
If you keep the RH level low, then you will be able to reduce 65% of the chances for molds and mildews to occur.
- Protection from light
Keep your weed away from direct sunlight. Reports say that light can single-handedly destroy the quality of weed. The sunlight carries Ultra Violet Rays which is responsible for this phenomenon. It is also said that if cannabinoids are stored under proper conditions, they can remain stable for up to 2 years. Hence, store the Cannabis in an opaque air-tight container, preferably made of glass. Avoid using plastic bags as it destroys the texture of weed. Buying fresh quality flowers is very important to keep the effectiveness of the weed intact. Also, storing weed away from sunlight helps in control the humidity, temperature, and other factors relatively.
The best option to store Cannabis is a mason jar in the right quantity. Preferably, ¾ of the quantity will keep it fresh and effective for a long time. Try not to expose the weed to air unnecessarily. Exposure to air for a long will cause degradation more rapidly and other organic matters. You can use electric vacuum pumps to ensure minimum exposure to air.
- Tips To Ensure Long Shelf Life of Cannabis
The above-mentioned factors are useful to keep your Cannabis away from any spoilage and ensure the longer shelf life of Cannabis
- Keep your weed in a cool, dry, dark place.
- Use a humidity control sachet or humidity packs to keep the RH level in control.
- Store the Cannabis by vacuum packing for minimum exposure to air.
- Always use one container at a time. Mixing up strains degrades the flavor.
- Buy high-quality weed and ensure that it is cured properly.
- Steps to Avoid While Storing Cannabis
- Avoid storing Cannabis in the refrigerator. Cold and freezing temperature makes the Cannabis fragile and brittle. It ruins the flavor as it takes a longer time to return to room temperature.
- Never store Cannabis in plastic bags. If no other option is left, then use it for a short period. Try to store them in a good-quality plastic bag to avoid harm in flavor and texture.
- Don't try to use a tobacco humidor for Cannabis. The oils transferred through them can affect the flavors.
- Never put any fruit peels to the Cannabis for flavor and proper humidity. It will cause molds, mildew which will be a total waste of time and money.
- Factors determining old or degraded Cannabis
Cannabis can be preserved for about a year. It needs specific care and proper conditions to minimize the process of degradation. Here are some factors through which you can determine-
Change in Odour
If Cannabis is not taken care of properly, then the first sign they release is the change in odor. It gives a foul smell that indicates that Cannabis is not suitable for smoking. The smell of molds and mildew is also an indicator. Other chemical smells mean that pesticides have been used. It is also noted that containers can influence the smell of weed due to improper storage.
Change in Appearance
You will observe that the old Cannabis has lost its texture and quality. You can determine by observing a white layer over the surface of small flowers.
Touch and Check
You should observe that if the Cannabis has any moisture left or not. Touch and identify that if there is any mold that is not possible to be observed through the naked eye. Slowly and gradually unravel the flowers to find any molds.
Touch and hear that Cannabis is also a way to determine the condition of Cannabis. Take some amount and crush them between the fingers. You will hear the sound of flowers crushing between the fingers. It proves that the moisture in the nugs is still intact. Dry and old Cannabis will not snap between the fingers. Cannabis with higher moisture content will not make any sound.Taste the Cannabis
At last, after checking all other criteria, check that the flavors of Cannabis are perfect or not. It is preferable to check everything before deciding to smoke. If the taste of Cannabis is not good, then you will get to know it in the beginning. Good quality cannabis smells good and looks good too. So, considering these factors, you can check by smoking.
As per a study published in the “Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology,” Cannabis can be stored for up to two years if it is preserved properly. When the stored Cannabis starts to release a foul smell, it's time to consume it as soon as possible. Otherwise, it will affect your health. You can also check whether a mold has been developed in Cannabis. This proves that Cannabis is not safe for consumption.
Consumption of Marijuana is still very risky and problematic for many people. Though it has medicinal properties, it can damage the immune system, cause memory loss, cancer, etc. One should consume it responsibly because anything excessive is dangerous for our health.
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Keeping Weed in The Refrigerator is Good or Bad?
Yes, you can refrigerate weed. It is advisable to keep Cannabis in a cool, dry, and dark place. Remember not to put them into cold temperatures. It will make more trichomes brittle and breaks more easily. Also, the flavors and their effectiveness degrade when stored in cold temperatures. It is recommended to store Cannabis in a sealed pack glass container away from sunlight and humidity.
- Storing Weed in a Plastic Bag is Good or Bad?
Storing weed in a plastic bag is not recommended. But, if you don't have any other option, then you should use good quality plastic bags. Remember to store them only for a short period with precautions. Try to remove excess air as much as possible while storing.
- Can We Store Marijuana in Glass Pipes?
Yes, you can. You need to take care of the pips and protecting the weed from the odors of leftover resin. You can buy plastic pipe containers that can trap odors. You can use padded or non-padded ones according to your preference.
- What Are The Best Ways To Store Different Kinds of Marijuana?
1. Baked Marijuana- wrap the marijuana in wax paper and store it in a tight-fit container.
2. Tinctures- Keep the tincture in a glass bottle and store it in the refrigerator or a cool and dry place.
3. Cartridges- The Cartridges of cannabis oil should also be kept in a cool and dry place.
4. Marijuana Flower- Always chose the best product for the flower. You can store them in an air-tight glass container and place them in a cool, dry place. You can also refrigerate them.